Re: More questions on ID types

Ooops... Clarification to my last e-mail

> > On: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:59:38 PDT you wrote
> > [snip]

> > > It is good to note that the issue came up earlier and was discussed,
> > > even though I dont like the alternative you suggest. In order to not expose
> > > the actual identities, the vendors would have to agree on an out-of-band
> > > encryption by which to encrypt the ID in the vendor specific ID_KEY_ID.
> > > This is yet another encryption, and yet another out-of-band requirement
> > > in addition to the pre-shared key. Also, as Bryan pointed out, it
> > > is a layer violation in that a pre-shared key has to be assusmed based
> > > on the src address (in IP header) rather than ID payload.
> >
> >   What encryption? An ID is not encrypted "in the vendor specific ID_KEY_ID".
> >
> >   The vendors have to agree on the pre-shared key out-of-band so in the same
> > out-of-band channel they agree to bind the key to an opaque blob. e.g. the
> > pre-shared key is "mekmitasdigoat" and the blob is "geukghisohfewh". That
> > blob is not encrypted it is just meaningless outside the two peers. When
>
> What could have been a meaningful ID (such as foobar@foo.bar.com) is now
> having to be turned into a blob like "geukghisohfewh" by the vendors. This
> is what I meant by having to encrypt the ID.
>
> > someone presents and ID (whose type is ID_KEY_ID) of "geukghisohfewh" and
> > provides proof of knowledge of the pre-shared-key associated with that then
> > you've authenticated that party. The pre-shared key is based on the contents
> > of the ID payload _not_ on address.
>
> OK.

If main mode of exchange is permitted with pre-shared keys, the draft does
state (section 5.4)  that the pre-shared key can only be identified by
initiator based on the IP address of the responder and not his ID payload.
And, pre-shared keys MUST be permitted in Main mode because:

      Main mode is a MUST; Aggressive mode is a SHOULD.
      Authentication via pre-shared keys is a MUST.

Pre-shared keys could be used in aggressive mode, as you say.
But the ID type is in the clear. Vendors may need to transform the
actual IDs (like foo@foo.com) into some undecipherable blobs and use
ID_KEY_ID type IDs if they need to conceal real identity.

> >   If you don't like the solution then write up yet another authentication
> > method for IKE and let us all throw darts at it. What is there now is not
> > changing. Period. Full stop. End of discussion.
> >

> You misunderstood what I said. I wasnt saying I did not like the solution
> you proposed in the draft. Rather, I was asking for a rationale, because I
> was not present at the earlier IPsec meetings and am not privy to discussions
> on the subject otherwise. Hope you understand.
>
> >   Dan.
> >

> cheers,
> suresh

cheers,