Re: simultaneous lifetime type support required?

 >> Roy Pereira wrote:
 >>
 >> Yes.  Both expiry types should be supported at the same time.
 >> Expiry would happen when either of the expiry values et triggered.
 >>
 >> Scott wrote: I recognize the need to support both types, but the
 >> question is, am I required to support both types simultaneously?
 >> That is, if you send me 2 lifetime payloads together, one in
 >> kbytes and one in seconds, does this mean you want both values
 >> used, with the actual expiration based upon whichever occurs
 >> first?

 Scott> The question has not been answered satisfactorily by any of
 Scott> the responses to date. Let me rephrase: where in the document
 Scott> set does it state that a system MUST/should/may support
 Scott> simultaneous specification of seconds/kbytes for SA lifetimes,
 Scott> terminating the SA depending upon which limit is reached
 Scott> first? I see a reference to multiple lifetimes in DOI (section
 Scott> 4.5.2), but this is just parsing info, and does not contain
 Scott> any language indicating the implementation status
 Scott> (must/may/should). I see no other references.

Ipsec-arch discusses lifetime but doesn't explicitly discuss the case
of both limits being active at the same time either.

Then again, I must admit being somewhat puzzled why this is such an
issue.  If you implement each feature, it's hard to see how it could
cost you ANYTHING to have them both active for the same SA.

	paul