Re: New entry in privacy/wiretap debate

Hello Hilarie,

There is no key recovery in the "operator action" model. Basically, we and others are arguing that most (probably all) IPsec devices already provide a customer with the ability to comply with a legal warrant without any modification at all. Responding to a lawful warrant is, for many classes of product, a management issue not a cryptographic one. Please see the following white paper for an explanation of our approach. Contact Elizabeth Kaufman
(mailto:ekaufman@cisco.com) if you have any questions.

There is no key recovery here!

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/146/july98/2.html

- Elizabeth (using Chris Lonvick's PC in a meeting....)