Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:42:06 +0300
From: Moshe Litvin <moshe@CheckPoint.COM>
To: Vipul Gupta <vgupta@nobel.eng.sun.com>
CC: moshe@CheckPoint.COM, roy@CheckPoint.COM
Subject: Re: Your draft on Hybrid Authentication

Vipul Gupta wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>     I read your draft titled "A Hybrid Authentication Mode
>   for IKE" with great interest. I am very interested in the
>   use of IPSec fro remote access scenarios myself and see
>   your draft as supplying a crucial missing piece (if you
>   could review draft-gupta-ipsec-remote-access-00.txt and
>   send me feedback, I'd appreciate it).
>
>     What is your opinion regarding draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp
>   -xauth-02.txt which also describes the use of token cards
>   and one-time passwords for authentication with ISAKMP?
>   That draft assumes that the OTP/token card interaction
>   occurs *after* a phase one ISAKMP SA has already been
>   established (i.e. the ISAKMP negotiators have already
>   authenticated themselves mutually). With these assumptions,
>   it isn't clear to me that there are many scenarios where
>   the xauth draft will be applicable.
>
>     Your draft proposed the use of existing authentication
>   mechanisms like token cards etc for Phase I SA establishment
>   and seems to have wider applicability. Any comments/feedback
>   appreciated.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   vipul
>
> --
> Vipul Gupta, Ph.D.
> Mailstop UMPK15-214
> Sun Microsystems Inc.              Email: vipul.gupta@Eng.Sun.COM
> 901 San Antonio Road               Tel: +1 (650) 786 3614
> Palo Alto CA 94303-4900            Fax: +1 (650) 786 6445

I think that the hybrid mode has several advantages over ISAKMP/XAUTH.
There is reason that you stated that ISAKMP/XAUTH can be done only after
phase 1, so we have the problem of established ISAKMP SA which is yet
completely secure because the ISAKMP/XAUTH hadn't started.

It also has security advantage that are gained through the use of public
keys, without the need for a full blown PKI as in the case of the full
public keys modes.

The most natural way to apply ISAKMP/XAUTH is to have a PHASE 1
authenticated by pre-shared secrets (because if you can do something
more powerful in phase 1 you probably don't want ISAKMP/XAUTH) and then
authenticate only the user with the ISAKMP/XAUTH.

But since a user must remember the pre-shared secret is is vulnerable to
dictionary attacks, and without the pre-shared secret there is no server
authentication and you are vulnerable to man in the middle attack.

I also read your draft, and found that when we designed our remote
access solution (SecuRemote) we encountered the same problems and we
implemented/will implement most of the solutions that you suggested.

As for the configuration problem we don't think that a manual
configuration of which gateway protects which hosts is feasible, the
configuration is to complicated for the normal end user, especially
where there are a lot of networks and gateways. I believe that standard
way of fetching that configuration information is a must for an inter
operable remote access solution.

BTW
   If you like to continue this discussion I would appreciate it, if you
will do it on the ipsec list, It may encourage others to join the
discussion.

regards

	Moshe Litvin

Moshe Litvin                    Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.

moshe@checkpoint.com            Tel:   +972-3-753-4601 (972-3-753-4555)
                                Fax:   +972-3-575-9256