Re: Comments on "Hybrid Auth. mode for IKE"

> > From: suresh@livingston.com (Pyda Srisuresh)
>
> > Say, the user chose an infinite lifetime option. When a user is disconnected
> > from the network, the SAs are presumably still valid, right. In such a case,
> > someone else could get on to the same machine and happily use the session
> > SAs.  By limiting the SA lifetime to "network-connected-time", the SAs
> > automaitcally become invalid when the user is not connected to the network.
> >

>   Suresh,
>
>   I am still not clear about the notion of "network-connected-time".
>   If I access my corporate intranet using IPSec from a LAN in the
>   IETF computer room, what is my "network-connected-time" and how does
>   the corporate IPSec gateway detect that I am no longer on the network?

You state a mechanism to monitor connected-time in the last paragraph
below. There may be other means. For example, if you negotiated an SA
for a telnet session, then the SA would be retired soon after the
session is done.

>   Isn't it simpler to negotiate a finite lifetime (for remote access
>   this might be a couple of hours) and renew it as needed?
>   When the user is done communicating with the corporate intranet,
>   he could, in addition, delete the IPSec and ISAKMP SAs protecting
>   traffic to/from the corporate intranet from the local SA
>   database and send a delete notification to the IPSec gateway.
>   Even if the notification is lost and the gateway does not delete
>   SAs on its end immediately (according to the current drafts, delete
>   notifications are not requests for the receiver to delete its SA),
>   at least a new user won't be able to gain unauthorized access.
>   Clearly, establishment of any SAs used in remote access must be
>   contingent on being able to authenticate the remote user, not just
>   the remote host.

Are you saying it should be made mandatory for the user to do the
clean up, when done with connecting to the enterprise. This is
exactly what the network-connected-time metric would do.

>   Another possibility for IPSecond might be to associate
>   idle times with SAs -- an SA is deleted if it hasn't been used
>   for a while. Is this what you meant by "network-connected-time"?

Yes.

>   vipul

cheers,
suresh