need help understanding the Commit bit

[ The Commit Bit can be set (at anytime) by either party participating
        in the SA establishment, and can be used during both phases of
an
        ISAKMP SA establishment. ...]

[... In this instance, the Message ID
        field of the Informational Exchange MUST contain the Message ID
of
        the original ISAKMP Phase 2 SA negotiation.  This is done to
ensure
        that the Informational Exchange with the CONNECTED Notify
Message can
        be associated with the correct Phase 2 SA.]

The Commit/CONNTECTED exchange can happend completely within Phase
1(e.g. in Identity Protection Exchange/IKE Main Mode), then why the
above discussion make it tie to Phase 2 ??? Really confused here. Let's
assume it happens in phase 1, then where is the "original ISAKMP Phase 2
SA negotiation" coming from? We are still in phase I right? why do we
need to associate with "the correct phase 2 SA]?

Thanks for any comment.

Biao
RouterWare Inc.