Re: Comments on "Hybrid Auth. mode for IKE"

Moshe,

just another opinion to the "hybrid authentication draft".

First some general thoughts:

There's no doubt to need good migration paths from "80's technology"
to new one but I have some concerns doing it the way your I-D
proposes:

1. In general, I believe, providing too much of backward
compatibility would probably delay the implementation of more
secure authentication mechanisms, especially certificate based auth.
including a global PKI. IKE could be a good catalyst deploying
stronger auth. schemes. And it already provides a good migration
path by its pre-shared key mode (PSK) where NO PKI is needed. So the
compatibitility to older systems should build on this mode. (All
token systems I know are based on symmetric crypto - like PSK mode.
At least for S/KEY I could imagine it's very easy to use it in a kind
of "one-time-PSK" mode).

2. The discussion on more or less databases to manage I don't
understand - basically there is _one_ importent database which
assigns certain rights to a USER. With cert-based auth. you have less
databases, because there is already an authenticated user name - with
any symmetric token system you need to assign the users to the token
first.

3. A basic IKE-design principle is the 2-phase-approach of
authenticating the IKE instances in a first phase and in the second
phase to exchange keys for clients. Comparing XAUTH and hybrid mode,
XAUTH keeps the 2-phase-separation cleaner, I think.

In detail to your I-D:

3. You propose using Public-Key-based auth. for the edge device,
which means a certificate must be known to the mobile user or
transmitted during "hybrid auth mode"-exchange - so you need to
verify the cert. on the mobile station, and therefore you need a
basic kind of PKI, at least with a one-level certification hierarchy.
But within this hierarcy you can certify your clients too... (I
absolutely agree Steve, that it's not so difficult to build PKIs in
a limited organizational environment)

4. (last) your comparison to SSL (Sect. 2.2) is not correct, at
least not understandable: If a server requests client auth. during
the SSL handshake the client MUST reply with a certificate. With SSL
you always need a kind of PKI - there is no migration path with
pre-shared secrets like in IKE. Anything else above SSL mostely can't
be called client auth. (especially not a credit card number...)- it
only depends on the application running on SSL. For the Web, real
client auth. would only be provided by S-HTTP on a per-document
basis.

Kai

# Kai Martius                                                           #
# Dpt. of Medical CS and Biometrics / Dresden University of Technology  #
# PGP Fingerprint: to be compared after download of my key              #
# Key and more info see my Homepage                                     #
# http://www.imib.med.tu-dresden.de/imib/personal/kai.html              #