Re: Comments on "Hybrid Auth. mode for IKE"

Note that for this scheme to work HASH_I must be sent before HASH_R
which limit the negotiation to the wrong direction for aggressive.
It may work in some revised form of pre-shared secret in main mode (one
that sends the ID's in the clear).

So we have a way that needs a new draft, specific to one token (and a
server for that token that is yet to be designed). How is it better than
the hybrid mode?

Moshe

Greg Carter wrote:

> Not that I want to design something for SecurID but its a very small
> modification to their existing technology.  Literally adding a loop with
> some keyed hash calculations...
>
> In a regular SecurID authentication the server is presented with the "token"
> displayed on the card.  The token is valid at X moment in time.  The server
> validates the token at Y moment in time.  The ACE server has a window of
> acceptable tokens for W-X-Y-Z moments in time.  The ACE server checks its
> window of tokens and replies back to the Gateway with a yes or no.
>
> In the imaginary shared secret mode the token is used in the HASH_I and
> HASH_R validation.   Assuming the client is the initiator (only works with
> client as initiator) the client will enter the token, the IKE engine uses
> that to calculate HASH_I and sends HASH_I to the responder for verification.
> Since you are already prepared to off load the Yes/NO decision to the ACE
> server all you need to do is send over HASH_I to the server with the other
> pieces of data, all of which are sent in the clear (Aggressive mode) so
> there isn't any greater security risk.  The ACE server tries to validate
> HASH_I with the tokens it has in its window.  When it finds one that
> validates it then calculates SKEYID and returns this to you.  You can then
> perform the rest of IKE.  This is no less secure than the typical SecurID
> exchange.  They only have to ensure that the channel between the Gateway and
> the ACE server is protected, which they should be doing anyway.  This does
> not expose the one time password, in fact in typical SecurID exchanges the
> "Token" travels in the CLEAR to the Gateway, so SecurID is already prepared
> to "give up" its one time passwords.  In this mode it never leaves the users
> machine.  Only HASH_I/HASH_R, which are protected from replay by the IKE
> nonce.
>
> Bye.
> ----
> Greg Carter, Entrust Technologies
> greg.carter@entrust.com

Moshe Litvin                    Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.

moshe@checkpoint.com            Tel:   +972-3-753-4601 (972-3-753-4555)
                                Fax:   +972-3-575-9256