Re: IKE drfat - draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-oakley-08.txt

In message <199807271329.GAA11627@kc.livingston.com>, Pyda Srisuresh writes:

> Problem:  While Main mode of negotiation and pre-shared-key based
> 	  authentication are independently stated as mandatory for
> 	  IKE draft compliance, together they do not work.
> 	  I.e., Pre-shared-key based authentication in Main mode
> 	  does not work or is seriously flawed in the way it is
> 	  stated to work.

[ snip ]

>           If IP-Address type was the only valid ID type,  we could take the
> 	  IP address in IP header (layer 3) as a replacement for IP address
> 	  in ID payload (layer 4), as the draft says.  But, that would be a
> 	  layer violation (assuming layer 3 info in place of layer 4 info).
> 	  Even with the layer violation, this assumption is workable only
> 	  with an IP-address type ID. For an IP DOI, the ID can be many
> 	  different things, including a user-name, device-name, DER encoded
> 	  Distintinguished Name etc.  IKE negotiation would simply not work
> 	  with these ID payloads.

The pre-shared key issue doesn't mean that the only ID acceptable is the IP
address; it says that you must be able to lookup the remote peer's key *using*
their IP address. This can be done, for example, by maintaining a cache of ID
-> IP address mapping pairs.

Also, the second most common implementation of IPsec we see is two statically
addressed Security Gateways creating a static tunnel between them; in this
context, pre-shared keys in main mode work flawlessly, and have the advantage
of not requiring any other supporting infrastructure.

In short, your're wrong. Pre-shared keying is perfectly valid and useable,
within its limitations. If you can't live with those limitations, you must use
either Agressive mode or a different authentication method.

Can we please publish these documents now?

--
C. Harald Koch     <chk@utcc.utoronto.ca>

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."
		-Karen Murphy <karenm@descartes.com>