Fragmentation, Inbound processing

Section 4.1 of draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-07.txt states:

[snip]
	The requirement for any (transit traffic) SA involving a
	security gateway to be a tunnel SA arises due to the need
	to avoid potential problems with regard to fragmentation
	and reassembly of IPsec packets, and in circumstances where
	multiple paths (e.g., via different security gateways) exist
	to the same destination behind the security gateways.

Could someone elaborate on what exactly are the "potential problems"
or point me to a document explaining them?

Section 4.4.2 of draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-07.txt states:

[snip]
	If the packet has been fragmented, then the port information
	may not be available in the current fragment.  If so, discard
	the fragment.  An ICMP PMTU should be sent for the first
	fragment, which will have the port information. [MAY be
	supported]

I am confused by the discard fragment action. If security gateways
can apply IPsec to an IP packet whose payload may be an IP fragment
then why would we discard the fragment?

Section 5.2.1 of draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-07.txt states:

[snip]
	NOTE: The correct "matching" policy will not necessarily
	be the first inbound policy found.

The SPD is an ordered list of entries. If the correct matching
policy was not the first inbound policy found wouldn't that imply
that the SPD is not really ordered? Or, am I missing something?

thanks

--
David W. Faucher
Lucent Technologies - Bell Labs