Authentication with ECDSA signatures

Hello,

When you read the current IKE draft, you may notice that it only
supports RSA-based
and discrete log-based public-key signatures. But the IKE specification
should allow
other options that may be more efficient. Since we define EC groups
(EC2N and ECP)
for DH key exchange in the document, the logical consequence of the EC
groups inclusion
would be ECDSA definition as well. This is strange that it is not in the
list of algorithms
for authentication. Our implementations show that use of ECDSA can
improve performance
over DSA by as much as eight times.

Most likely that one, who is going to use EC groups for DH and has
software with EC implementation,
will want to use ECDSA rather than RSA signature for authentication
since it is inside of that software
and provides greater performance. The current IKE draft proposes to use
EC groups for DH key
exchange, but for authentication we are proposed to use either RSA or
DSA signatures only.

So, I would like to propose that ECDSA support is added to IKE. Support
for ECDSA certificates
in PKIX is currently being proposed to assist this.

Regards,
Yuri Poeluev
Certicom Corp.