IP comression - Can this be made optional?

Hi,

When you have an SA bundle consisting of AH, ESP and
Compression protocols defined for a class of packets,
I understand, the entire SA bundle is required to be
applied on packets in either direction.

However, I believe, it is desirable to make application
of some of the components (of SA bundle) optional. For
example, one might not want to compress small packets
(say, less than 64 bytes). I would hate to have packets
dropped in bit bucket just because they are not
compressed. What do others think of this?

Is it reasonable to have a policy defined such that one
or some of the SA bundle elements can be made optional?

Thanks.

cheers,
suresh