Re: IP comression - Can this be made optional?

> > No, an SA bundle is unidirectional, just like the SAs themselves.  In
> > principle, the set of SAs connecting two systems could be asymmetric...
>
> Are you refering to setting up asymetric SAs without the aid of IKE?

Yes, either by hand or using a different key-exchange protocol (there are
several).  IKE has no provision for negotiating asymmetric connections
(unless I've misremembered something), but the basic IPSEC architecture
permits them.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net
                                                     (henry@zoo.toronto.edu)