Re: cert chain processing

requiring pkcs7 wrapping of things together doesn't add any value I can see.  You have to store all the certs anyway, you have to process them individually (check sigs, check names, check not-before and not-after times, etc. etc.)

You also can't be sure you'll get the entire chain at once, so you still have to process one at a time.