RE: null encryption

It would be very useful to get an agreement on 'what the VPN problem is', I
agree.
I consider IPSEC as 'just security'.  Transport-mode protection is clearly
not a
tunnel and tunnel-mode is poorly named - I think.  'Tunnel-mode' is more
like
'encapsulation-mode' - If you've encrypted the original header, some other
address
header needs to be applied. Originally, IPSEC negotiated just authentication
and encryption parameters and now covers compression as well - can be it be
expanded further?

As things stand, I think the only approach we have (our implementation) is
to use
L2TP with IPSEC protection (L2TP does the tunnel, IPSEC protects with
transport
mode).  I know other folk have various IP-tunnel things that 'just work'
over IPSEC
 - presumably in Transport mode.

I suspect the answer is a hybrid of L2TP (voluntary model) and the various
IP/IP tunnels.

As a pet interest, I'd like to see some time spent of 'VPN tunnel quality
monitoring'.

Steve.