Re: issues with IKE that need resolution

Question to IPsec implementors:

What is the "proper" behaviour of the IPsec implementation upon receiving an
IPsec-transformed packet for which there is no IPsec SA, but there is an SPD
entry  and/or IKE SA for the IP address of the sender (or the associated IP
Range or IP Subnet)? I couldn't find anything in the standards on this.

- Should the packet  be discarded?
- Should it trigger MM (or QM)  initiation? - may be good for some recovery
cases , but bad for denial-of-service or other attacks.
- Should the sending end be notified?

I think this is an important interoperability issue.
.
--
Bronislav Kavsan
IRE Secure Solutions, Inc.