Re: Network World article on IPSec

This is an important subject, may be it is better to have the discussion
direct on the mailing list.

CryptoNEWS

In a message dated 9/18/98 8:32:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, aha@East.Sun.COM
writes:

<< An 8/24/98 article by Ellen Messmer in Network World titled "The
 remaking of IPSec" claims that IPSec and IKE are not ready for prime
 time, and that productization needs to wait for IPSecond.  This is
 not the impression I have gotten from talking to vendors and from
 following the ipsec mailing list.

 Can anyone fill me in on details of some of the following claims
 from the article?  Please reply directly to me (aha@East.sun.com),
 and I will summarize the responses to the list.

 1. "The harder IPSec change will be standardizing on an IPSec remote
    client.  The goal of the IETF meeting is to define a client that
    can support IP address changes automatically."

    [Anne] To what extent is this a barrier to deployment of the
    existing IPSec?  Only in NAT environments?

 2. "Another difficult item on this week's agenda will be redefining
    the core IKE protocol.  Security experts recently uncovered a
    flaw related to the improper exposure of information."

    [Anne] Is this referring the discussion about exposure of
    identities during IKE negotiation in Pre-Shared-Key-Auth Main
    Mode?  Is this really a barrier to deployment?

 3. "And IKE, as it now exists, handles time-expiration of session
    keys in a way that could cause one gateway not to understand
    another."

    [Anne] Is this referring to the use of kbytes-based lifetime
    payloads versus seconds-based lifetime payloads?  To what extent
    is this a barrier to deployment?  Does it just cause a delay, or
    is it a Big Problem?
 --
 Anne Anderson                 Email: aha@east.sun.com
 Sun Microsystems Laboratories    or: aha@acm.org