Re: issues with IKE that need resolution

Michael C. Richardson wrote:

>   I have a better suggestion:
>         ID_LIST
>   and just put multiple ID payloads inside... why complicate things?

Actually, we considered this - or something similar to this. Instead, we
discussed just sending multiple ID payloads in the message. The
arguments against (that we were able to come up with) pertain to the
complexity of the parsing mechanism, and to the added overhead of the
payload headers. Your technique simplifies the parsing mechanism by
forcing the grouping of the payloads, but doesn't eliminate the
additional headers. I guess for relatively infrequent exchanges, though,
the additional bits would not be as strong a consideration.

Hmmm...