Re: multiple payloads via "ID_LIST"

  Roy,

  I'm not talking about what policy is, I'm saying why would one want to
do IPSec at such a network aggregation point? How many disjoint, non-
combinable networks does TimeStep have? 2? 5? Probably less than 10.
If you go a few hops away from TimeStep into your service provider cloud
there'll probably be a network aggregation point at which there are
a hundred. But I don't think you want to do IPSec there. Most customers
are suspicious of the other people who are also routed to through that
aggregation point. Maybe some ISP would try to sell IPSec as a service in
this fasion, but I don't see any businesses purchasing that service. It
seems to me that you want to do IPSec as close as possible to you and do
it on a box that you manage. You want to do it on your gateway(s) or do it
end-to-end. And then the number of disjoint, non-combinable networks is
manageable, it's 2 or 5 or zero and you can just establish individual SAs
to handle them.

  Assuming TimeStep does have hundreds of disjoint, non-combinable networks
that a single (TimeStep owned and managed) gateway can route to this also
seems like an inflexible, unextensible, management nightmare. There's a
one-size-fits-all policy for every single resource on those hundreds of
networks. Yeech.

  You're right that it would be nice to have the capability to express
a list of networks, and then manage a single SA pair instead of 2 pairs or
5 pairs or whatever. But I don't see this as one of the "needed it yesterday"
problems (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). I think it fits more into
the "if it ain't broke" catagory since there is a way to solve this problem.
It's a tad annoying but it's not that bad. I think this can wait.

  Dan.

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:04:20 EDT you wrote