Re: Re-keying Issues Document

Mitch,

These are good points, and provide strong arguments for real HW random number
generators.  One small nit, though...

> For any software key generator, any new key will be predictable
> given a knowledge of the algorithm and its inputs.  An example
> would be,
>
>     K-new  =  func( seed, T ),
>
> where T is any information that varies from one invocation to the
> next.  T could be the previous result or a clock, or what-have-you.
> In any case T is also predictable (else we're talking about random
> number hardware).

Is T really predictable?  I ask this because if I frequently rekey based on
the number of bytes I transmit, T will vary based on a human's input.  Human
input is not very predictable.  If T is something along the lines of a
nanosecond timer, the human input differences amplify.

I'm not saying we don't need better randomness.  Maybe I'm arguing that
byte-based lifetimes provide better security, because of the unpredictability
of humans using those bytes.

Dan

Follow-Ups: References: