Re: Re-keying Issues Document

Steve,

The points in my letter (concerning rekeying) were

 (1) for a software key generator there is really
 only one secret.

 (2) repeated generation of keys from that single
  secret, can give away information about the secret.

 (3) therefore, it is perhap better to simply use
  a very good secret to begin with and only change
  it with proper true random input or when warranted,
  or perhaps otherwise, infrequently.

A discussion of how one finds some source of randomness
is not to the point.  Thats not the case being discussed.

Also, the claim that one can rely on adequate randomness
being available in the general case without hardware
specific to that purpose, is hard to believe.  There are
lots of systems that deal with lots of nearly repetitive or
predictable stuff.  The banking and financial industries
are full of them.

Mitch Nelson

Follow-Ups: References: