Re: autoconfiguration

    Richard> My understanding of this requirement in IPsec is that this
    Richard> compliant IPv6 host will not be able to send Router
    Richard> Solicitations, receive Router Advertisements, or do anything
    Richard> else with the network, until some knowledgeable person sitting
    Richard> at the keyboard configures the host's inbound and outbound SPDs.

 This sounds like the SNMPv2 security vs initial config problem all over again.

    Richard> My concern is that I believe IPv6's auto-configuration
    Richard> capabilities are important and as I understand it this IPsec
    Richard> requirement is in conflict.

  We have need to define a digital signature based AH. This is *not* going to
be useful for bulk data transfers, but it does present a way to do things
like initial config. The problem is then reduced to the problem of
doing initial certificate enrollment and acquisition of appropriate
certificate chains. While this isn't an easy problem, it is a problem
that lots of people are already working on.
  You can't solve the initial boot on the network problem in a secure
fashion unless you simultaneously answer questions like:
	- should you be allowed to connect here?
	- should you get an address? (or did you turn some other guys'
		machine off, yanked the network card and/or copied the MAC
		and now are impersonating him?)
	- if your PC gets fixed/upgraded/etc. do you risk loosing your
	network identity?

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.

Follow-Ups: References: