RE: comments on VPN framework document

Agreed, it needs fixing.

> > L2TP tunnel packets protected with ESP encryption would add
> > as little as 9
> > bytes of ESP overhead.
> > The encryption algorithm used may add another 8 to 14bytes and the
> > authentication option another
> > 12 bytes.  However, these encryption/authentication
> overheads would be
> > incurred whatever route you take, so it comes back to 9 bytes
> > per packet
> > additional for ESP overhead.   Four bytes of this overhead
> is used to
> > prevent replay attacks, and four bytes are used to multiplex.
> >  The four
> > bytes of replay protection are a general requirement, so they
> > remain 5 bytes
> > (multiplexing and next-hdr bytes) are the only true over head
> > of applying
> > ESP transport mode.
>
> While the extra bytes needed on the data plane may or may not
> be viewed as significant (and there's the PPP and UDP overhead
> also), there is the additional requirement of the L2TP signalling
> component, and its associated configuration. To me it just seems
> hard to justify why you need two of something, if one will do.
> I see the same motivation driving the idea of allowing a remote
> host's IP address and DNS server to be configured via ISAKMP,
> rather than requiring PPP-IPCP or DHCP as well. It also seems
> more pragmatic that requiring stacks that look like
>
>     APP/TCP/IP/PPP/L2TP/UDP/IPSEC/IP/L2/L1
>
> (I'm sure ISO-OSI would have been proud of that one :-)

So the difference would be:

  [IP2][IPSEC][UDP][L2TP][PPP][IP1][TCP][APP]   now

  [IP2][IPSEC][  New Headers   ][IP1][TCP][APP]   later.

  The 'Newheader' would need to cover PPP-like and L2TP-like features.

> > 2) VPRNs look very complicated.  The document is VERY
> > VPRN-heavy, I feel.  I
> > am concerned that the VPRN model is both restrictive,
> > inflexible and relies
> > on security being managed for you by the VPRN provider.  I
> > much prefer the
> > VLL approach described - just so you know :)
>
> The main benefit of a VPRN is that it allows for very
> simple CPE devices, in simple connectivity scenarios.
> If the CPE device just has a single link to the ISP
> you can configure it with a default route and you are
> done. The VPRN section describes a number of different
> problems that need to be solved for any VPN (e.g.
> membership and reachability determination and
> dissemination). There are a number of ways to solve
> each one, but I would not say that VPRNs are inherently
> complicated. It is more a matter of where you place
> the functionality - CPE router or ISP router. Also for
> network based VPNs many of the same mechanisms are needed
> whether the connectivity service provided is at layer 3
> or layer 2 (VPLS).
>
> There will never be a 'one size fits all' answer to
> the level of trust a customer gives to a service
> provider. The level of trust given to a provider
> in the case of a VPRN is similar to that given to
> a provider that provides an ATM PVC today. Packets
> are switched inside the network, and sent to other
> sites in the corporate network, and you assume that
> they don't go to your competitor sites. A customer
> can always choose to do more security, transparently
> to the service provider.

Yes, just like Frame Relay and ATM - but aren't folk
nervous of those links now? I thought the FR forum were
doing some security work...

> > 3) I am not convinced the 'Compulsory' tunneling for remote
> > access will be
> > attractive (I'll get some heat for that one no doubt).  Again, it is
> > inflexible, insecure on the outer PPP links, and relies on
> > the ISP providing
> > authentication services.  To protect the LAC-LNS flow would
> > mean sharing
> > ipsec security information with the ISP.  Besides,
> > 'Voluntary' sounds more
> > friendly :).  I think a vanila IPSEC tunnel in valuntary mode
> > would do most
> > folk - no L2TP.
>
> This seems an argument for using IPSEC by itself as a tunneling
> protocol, and not requiring L2TP. I agree!

For IP-only networks, yes. Others would still need L2TP
or one day the 'New Headers' and IPSEC.

Thanks for the response Bryan.  One aspect I wanted to see
some focus on (and didn't spot) was end-to-end QOS monitoring -
measuring dynamically how much of the 'guaranteed bandwidth'
I'm actually getting through a VPN.

Cheers, Steve.