RE: comments on VPN framework document

Hi Frank,

The VPN framework lists some of the problems, but my main problem with a
plain 'IPSEC-tunnel' is that it is not a tunnel at all, really - just a
security encapsulation scheme.  If you encrypt the original IP header, what
alternative have you got but to add another one.

For LAN-to-LAN, I want to have a virtual IP interface to play with. An IP
interface I can run routing over. For example:

   Virtual IP interface (16.36.16.200, RIP enabled)
   IP Tunnel (peer tunnel address 192.23.45.67) - a 'data-link' to the
Virtual IP interface.
   IPSEC-transport-mode

With IPSEC, there is no mechanism to define an 'Virtual IP interface' that
can be managed as any other IP interface - routing/cost/filtering/....

Perhaps this is just the way that I (and others) have implemented it -
following the basic model in the IPSEC architecture, i.e. the SPD model.

Maybe the solution for LAN-to_LAN is to model IPSEC as a tunnel 'datalink'
and have no SPD at all (or a single policy one):

   Virtual IP Interface (16.36.16.200, RIP enabled)
   IPSEC Tunnel 'data-link' (peer tunnel address 192.23.45.67, ESP/3DES
tunnel)

Now, if the IPSEC tunnel device could gain some of the features used in
L2TP, we would have something for LAN-to-LAN.

In the meantime, I'm thinking that L2TP+Transport-mode-IPSEC is as close as
we can get today.

Cheers, Steve.