Re: comments on VPN framework document

>'IPSEC-tunnel' is that it is not a
>tunnel at all, really - just a
>security encapsulation scheme.

By my definition, a tunnel exists whenever you
encapsulate one packet within another packet.
By that scheme an IPSEC/IP tunnel is as much a
tunnel as an IPSEC/L2TP tunnel.

>If you encrypt the original IP header,
>what alternative have you got but to
>add another one.

The same comment could be made about an
L2TP packet, which is encrypted when contained
in IPSEC/L2TP.

>With IPSEC, there is no mechanism to define
>an 'Virtual IP interface' that can be managed
>as any other IP interface - routing/cost/filtering/....

This is indeed a feature of your implementation.
There is no intrinic reason why an IPSEC/IP
tunnel cannot be treated as a virtual interface.
IP-IP tunnels (for DVMRP, for example) have
commonly been treated as virtual interfaces.

>In the meantime, I'm thinking that
>L2TP+Transport-mode-IPSEC is as close as
>we can get today.

It is true that implementations of
IPSEC/L2TP are often more
advanced than IPSEC/IP