Re: comments on VPN framework document

  Bryan,

  Attempting to use a layer 3 security protocol to provide what is,
in effect, layer 2 security is going to be problematic. No doubt about it.
If you're deadset on doing this why not use a proxy identity type of subnet
whose value is 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0?

  Or why not just use the right tool for the right job: a link encryptor.

  Dan.

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:33:09 PDT you wrote

> Take a basic networking task (nothing to do
> with IPSEC) of configuring a point to point
> link (e.g. an ATM PVC) between two routers.
> When I configure the link I don't need to
> know the set of layer 3 packets that will at a
> later point travel over the link. Instead a
> set of packets, determined by a dynamic routing
> protocol, will be sent over the link, and this
> may change over time. So the steps are
>
> - configure the layer 2 link
> - turn on routing over this link
> - packets get sent on the link
>
> Now the problem with using an IPSEC tunnel in
> this way is that it is currently a requirement
> that when an SA is established between two
> routers (security gateways), it is necessary
> to specify the set of IP packets that will
> be sent over the SA - the proxy IDs (IDci and
> IDcr) in a Quick Mode message must be non zero.
> If you haven't, at this point, even turned on
> routing to run over this IP tunnel link, then
> you don't know what the set of packets will be.
>
> A mode of operation that allowed these fields
> to be unspecified would solve the problem. The
> security policy to be applied on the SA (by
> the receiver of the SA) could be determined
> by the identify of the Phase 1 negotiator,
> possibly in conjunction with extra information
> (such as a VPN-ID) conveyed before the Phase
> 2 exchange. Essentially this is a policy issue.
> The policy to be applied on a Phase 2 SA, should
> not have to be signalled in the establishment of
> the SA. We should allow the identification of
> the policy to be applied to be based on information
> other than the source and destination IP addresses
> of the packets that will be sent over the SA. This
> becomes particularly important if you are running a
> network where there are multiple domains (e.g VPNs)
> all using the same address space (e.g. 10.0.0.0/8).
>
> Bryan

Follow-Ups: References: