Re: IBM VPN Bakeoff Issues

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 14:07:46 EST you wrote

> > 16. If an initiator requests an SA with only a single IP address as
> > the destination, but the responder has a local policy of a subnet
> > (instead of a single IP address), should it fail the negotiation?
> >  Some vendors were doing this.
>
> Yes, it should fail. Because then the initiator could then request another
> SA for the next IP address in the range the responder wanted to use in the
> first place. And then the next one. So you end up with a whole bunch of SAs
> that you don't need, and you may end up with a management issue that you
> didn't want. If your system is configured for a subnet, than that's probably
> what the administrator wants.

Whoa! I can deal with that management issue so I accept that offer. Provided
the offer is wholly contained in my policy I'll accept it. If my policy says
"anybody to 132.239.4.0/255.255.255.0" and someone offers "199.54.6.33 to
132.239.4.18" that's what I'll add onto my SAs when I instantiate them. Then
if 199.54.6.33 tries to send something to 132.239.4.50 on that SA I'll drop
it (since it doesn't match the SA constraints we negotiated) even though it
technically satisfies my policy.

I'm being liberal in what I accept, provided it satisfies my configured policy
that is. Yes, in certain situations I could end up with a whole slew of SAs
when a single one would suffice. Oh well. That's the way it goes.

I don't think we should dictate the behavior of an implementation in this
fashion.

  Dan.