Re: IBM VPN Bakeoff Issues

Hi Steve,

Stephen Kent wrote:

> Transport mode is used between two IP processing endpoints, mot
> intetrmediate processing points, so one would not use AH in transport mode
> between two SGs, and thus the combination you descibe is not valid, under
> the current architecture. Remember, the differences between tunnel and
> transport mode affect the checking performed on IP headers, not just the
> question of what is the next protocol field.  When AH is used in transport
> mode, the IP header it encapsulates is the one checked against the SPD.  Is
> that really what you want here?

As for the desired effect, why else would we apply AH to an encapsulated
packet? See the related thread for the rest of the discussion on this
topic. I think that given the current language, I *can* wrap an AH
transport mode SA around an ESP tunnel between 2 gateways. I've tossed
out the notion that ESP is a transport protocol which the SGWs
terminate, meaning a transport-mode SA applied to this traffic is
reasonable. I remain open to further discussion on this point, as it has
important implications.

> >I recognize all too well how these restrictions would simplify
> >processing, but don't think that makes for a good reason to modify the
> >spec.
>
> I'm not talking about modifying the spec. <trimmed...>

Right. That comment wasn't aimed at you, but rather at the earlier
discussion about adding new protocol numbers for every SA bundle
combination we can think of. Sorry, I didn't mean to muddle things.

Scott