Re: ISAKMP Extended Authentication

I should point out that the application I am looking at is a Network
Computer which could be powered down at any point in time.  Such a host is
not necessarily trusted to the same extent that a CA would be.  The approach
Tero recommends would also permit the host to fabricate a user certificate
since the host could easily make up a public/private key pair and ignore the
smart card altogether.  I don't think turning all these host systems into
CA's is prudent.  If every host had the authority of a CA, the trust
associated with a CA would disappear.  Given that this level of trust is not
acceptable when deploying 100's of such systems, I would think that the
extended authentication mechanism I suggested may be cleaner - presuming it
could be adapted to this role.   What are your thoughts on the use of this
mechanism?

Clipping from my original email: