ISAKMP/Oakley - Certificate exchange

(I changed the Subject description to better reflect the change in topic)

Within the IKE spec <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-oakley-08.txt>, Section 5.2 -
Authentication with Public Key Encryption, the 2nd paragraph states:

"In order to perform public key encryption, the initiator must already have
the responder's public key."

My statement should have indicated that the initiator can not issue a
certificate request based upon the statement above.

It would appear, although it is not stated, that in Main mode the responder
could include a certificate request with the first response packet which
includes the SA payload.  It is not clear why the initiator could not
include a certificate request with the very first packet, and the responder
include its certificate plus a certificate request in the first response
packet.   Part of the reason may be that system identities would be revealed
by the certificate exchange in Main mode.  In addition, the certificate
needed by the initiator may depend upon the proposal selected by the
responder, thus making a certificate request in the first packet premature
(I'm guessing here).   Does anyone have an answer to this?

   HDR, SA, CertReq    -->
   <--  HDR, SA, CERT, CertReq
   HDR, KE, CERT, <IDii_b>PubKey_r, <Ni_b>PubKey_r  -->
   <--  HDR, KE, <IDir_b>PubKey_i, <Nr_b>PubKey_i
   HDR, HASH_I  -->
   <--  HDR,  HASH_R

John