Re: Use IPSEC as SSH replacement

Well, that pretty much rules out X.509 certs.

I don't think what you want exists today, but the specs for IPSEC certainly
support it.  The following would solve the issue were the following to exist:

1] Use IKE with OpenPGP certs.  They don't constantly expire, don't cost money,
and you can use whatever trust model you want with them (hierarchy, WOT, etc...)
The ISAKMP RFC already has an ID for OpenPGP certs, so no changes required.  (see
RFC 2044 for OpenPGP)

2] To be just like SSH in terms of ease of use, your IKE implementation must be
able to be configured such that the certificate received when the first Phase 1 SA
is established with any other host on the internet is implictly accepted.  That
certificate from then on is required for authentication whenever communicating
with the same remote host.  While this introduces a minor security issue for first
connections, this is something most people have been willing to live with for
years with SSH.  To eliminate this security issue, just use the web of trust to
validate the certs.  If that doesn't scale to your organization, use OpenPGP
meta-introducers to establish a hierarchy.

One day if these worldwide CA-based pay-for-each-cert IPSEC X.509 PKI ramblings
become accepted and popular, your IKE implementation could also support X.509 and
be compatible with that too.  In the meantime, I agree that it would be nice to
get IKE widely usable without the hurdles that seem to have been erected for it.

-Will

--

Will Price, Architect/Sr. Mgr., PGP Client Products
Total Network Security Division

PGPkey: <http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCF73EC4C>

Follow-Ups: References: