IKE signature payload

Hello;

The cryptographic library I'm using for IKE has an RSA_Sign routine
which returns a 'sign length' indicating the number of significant
bits in the created signature.  This length may not be a multiple of 8.
The corresponding RSA_Verify routine needs to know this length.  I can't
see how to encode the signature length in bits into the Signature payload
... should my RSA implementation be handling the padding of the signature
to the byte boundary, for signature creation and verification?  Thanks in
advance.

Dave Clark
Secure Technologies
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs