RE: Minor Security issues regarding Kb rekeying

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617

<snip>

> For IPSEC SAs:
> Suppose an IPSEC SA with a lifetime of 1000Kb was established between
> two peer.
> Alice encrypts 1000Kb of data using this SA but only 900Kb of
> encrypted
> data reach Bob.
> Eve has now 1000Kb of encrypted data and can after cracking the SAs
> keys, transmit data to Bob who
> thinks this SA is still valid.

Not if Alice sends a required and reliable delete indication to Bob.
Oh, wait, we don't have one!!

See my re-keying document for a proposal for a delete mode that can
help reduce problems like this.