RE: compression before encryption

i didnt find the paper, but you say it is applied only to differentially
weak cyphers.

Anyway being vulnerable to cyphertext-only attacks and less vulnerable
to known
plain texts attacks is safer than being "fully" vulnerable to
cypher-text-only and known
plan texts attacks. no ?

On Thursday, December 10, 1998 7:40 PM, Helger Lipmaa
[SMTP:helger@cyber.ee] wrote:
> Note that there is actually very few known about the usage of
> cryptanalysis of the today's block ciphers with moderately reduntant
> sources. [BK98] does provide an evidence, that when using
differentially
> weak ciphers, having only lot of ciphertexts is enough to find the
key.
> Examples were provided for 8-round DES and RC5. (I don't have the
paper
> atm so I may be wrong).
>
> [BK98] Alex Biryukov, Eyal Kushilevitz, "From Differential
Cryptanalysis