Basic IKE authentication question

I've read RFC2408 and RFC2409 searching for the answer to this
(albeit basic) question, but haven't come up with an authoritative answer.

What are the available options for peer authentication before an IPsec
tunnel can be established? I suspect that they are:

- Pre-shared keys (i.e. some string that both peers agree upon in advance)
- X.509 certs from a Certificate Authority

But how about:

- Unverified public key exchange (like ssh)
- Manual distribution of public keys (Cisco's IKE implementation)

Thanks a lot, & happy new year to all!

-- ramon