Getting ISPs to pass IPSEC protocols 51, 50 and 4

This is not really technical IPSEC posting, but I just wish unburden
my mind about difficulties in testing IPSEC when ISPs and providers
have overjealous filtering on by default.

I wanted to test IPSEC connection between two points where the other
would be on a dial-up PPP, and observed

 - our own (VTT.FI) dialup lines didn't pass IPSEC (for a company
   firewall, probably a good thing by default),

Then tried two internet providers in Helsinki area that allow
anonymous dialup PPP, such that the phone line is billed by minute for
the use. I assumed that this type of connection is ideal for random
traveller and IPSEC use.

But I found that one of them didn't pass any of the IPSEC protocols
("surf" kolumbus.fi), the "Inet open" dialup lines passed the IPSEC
packets and I could complete the tests.

A small sample, but I wonder if similar problem is common globally and
whether something should be done about it, by increasing the IPSEC
awarenes and getting the blocks removed.

--
Markku Savela (msa@hemuli.tte.vtt.fi), Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/