Re: No Subject

At 11:43 19/01/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I ran into an interoperability situation between 2 ipsec implementations
>when the
>customer tried to set up 2 networks behind a security gateway as part of the
>same vpn.
>
>network1 -----
>                   SG1----x             x--SG2--- peer network
>networks -----

In a QM negotiation, you use IDs to specify the networks that are
supposed to talk to each other. That could be
192.168.1.0/24 (behind SG1) and 192.168.2.0/24 (behind SG2).
I would be very surprised if the resulting SA was used for something else
than traffic between these networks.

If SG1 really sends data from 192.168.3.0/24 through that SA,
I'd say that this implementation is faulty.

You need several SAs here. And if each SG has 10 subnets, there will
be 100 SAs. A possible workaround would be to do QM with 0.0.0.0/0
IDs and some policy-based filtering.

If you want the most interoperable approach:
When sending packets, mind the QM IDs used to create the SA.
When receiving packets, you could invent a policy setting to
allow traffic that does not match the IDs. You could. I don't
say that you should.

Jörn

Follow-Ups: References: