RE: New IPSec Monitoring MIB draft

Tim,

This draft looks promising.  It shows a structure that can do the job
it sets out to do.

Looking ahead, though, I wonder if it is the optimal structure for the
longer term.  This MIB is a monitoring MIB, and it certainly shows
most or all of what you might want to monitor.  But at some point we
will also want to have a configuration MIB.  Clearly, those two MIBs
would ideally use a similar way of organizing the data.

Your draft shows all the IPSEC/IPCOMP related data in one place: the
protection suite table rows.  That method of organization may not be
all that convenient in a configuration MIB.  For example, parameters
such as expiration limits, security services to use, etc., could be
organized in a table ("policies" -- or maybe that name is already
taken?) where they are named and then referred to.  If lots of
protection suites are set up to a common pattern, this simplifies
configuration.

Such an organization could also be applied to the monitoring MIB if we
want to do that.  So do we want to do that?  I can see several
possible approaches:

1. Continue with the monitoring MIB in its present form; when we get
to a configuration MIB, that one may have a different organization,
but that's ok.

2. Spend some time outlining a skeleton configuration MIB
organization, and adjust the monitoring MIB to have an analogous
organization.

Obviously, #1 is quicker.  Which one is better depends on whether
people feel it's more important to have a monitoring MIB soon
vs. having one closely patterned after the configuration MIB.  To put
a stake in the ground, I'd prefer #2 because in the long run it will
make for a clearer and easier to understand picture.

	paul