RE: New IPSec Monitoring MIB draft

Paul,

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the ideas about a configuration MIB, I believe that configuration
of IPSec is really configuration of policy. After all, it is the occurrence
of events/traffic/etc. that, when applied against the policy of a system,
cause the creation of SAs. This MIB is supposed to indicate what you have,
but not how you got there.

Since we have no standard way do define policy, a configuration MIB will
probably not get done until after policy is defined. There are already a
number of proposals for defining standard policy; drawing this MIB into that
will only slow its progress.

The only reason you would ever want to write to this MIB would be if you
wanted to change something about an existing SA. However, I don't believe
that this is the appropriate method to do that.

Tim

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617