Questions on CERT payload

Hi

Can anyone help me in clarifying some of the basic doubts
in IKE (authentication with digiatal signatures).

1. What is the format in which certificates are exchanged in
    a bake-off ?

2. Can we assume that if the CERT payload is  not sent,
     the certificates are exchanged in a out of band  mechanism
     in a bake-off ?

3. If the chain of certificates are to be sent, will they come as
    a single CERT payload or multiple  CERT payloads ? Is the
    order of the chain fixed or the CERTS can come in any order ?

thanks in advance
-kalyan.