Re: Legal claims on encryption and authentication algorithm

"Glawitsch, Gregor" wrote:

> The DES patent is owned by IBM, but IBM has waived the license
> fee, i.e. anyone can use DES free of charge.
>
> The DES patent is **not** owned by RSA Data Security.

Correct, but he was discussing DESX.

> > In case this group has not heard, RSA Data Security has
> > clarified that there is no charge for using the DESX algorithm,
> > which is described in draft-simpson-desx-02.txt.
> >           --Bob Baldwin
> >             Technical Director
> >             RSA Data Security

DESX was invented by RSA's Rivest, if I recall correctly, so RSA
(could? do?) claim rights to it, subject I suppose to negotiation
with IBM who own DES.

--
"The real aim of current [cryptography] policy is to ensure the
 continued effectiveness of US information warfare assets against