Re: transport-friendly ESP

Steve,

As you and I discussed after the last IPsec WG meeting in Orlando, I am
concerned by the possible adverse consqeunces of this approach to
"cheating" with what purports to be an IP layer security protocol.  I'd
rather offer ways of creating copies of pre-defined transport layer
protocol information for access outside of the ESP protection boundary.  A
moveable window of the sort you descibe could be misconfigured and allow
substantial amounts of data to be transmitted in plaintext form.  In
contrast, if we provide a means of carrying a plaingtext copy of selected
transport layer info outside of the ESP payload, we can limit the damage
that misconfiguration (bening or malicious) might inflict.

Steve