Re: Question about mis-match SA lifetimes

  Good question. It's not really possible to negotiate down to the
lowest value since this is a simple request-response protocol. RFC2407,
in section 4.5.4, defines 3 things you can do if someone offers you a
lifetime which is greater than the one you have configured: 1) fail the
negotiation; 2) complete the negotiation but just use the locally
configured, shorter, time; or, 3) complete the negotiation and notify the
peer what the real lifetime you're using is.

  But that only works with phase 2 negotiation because RFC2409, sadly,
does not define a notify message analagous to the DOI's RESPONDER-LIFETIME.
So the only options for phase 1 are 1 or 2: fail the negotiation or just
ignore what the operator has configured. One of the action items from
http://www.lounge.org/ike_doi_errata.html is to rectify that though.

  Keep in mind that if you choose option 1 you may have a difficult time
going through the "certification" process. One of the presumptions of the
"certification" testing is that IPSec and IKE policy are commutative. That's
a flawed premise (enforcement of SA lifetime and Diffie-Hellman group policy
are examples of how you can configure things such that Alice can successfully
initiate to Bob but Bob can't successfully initiate to Alice) and I had a
helluva time explaining that when our box which chooses option 1 for phase
1 negotiation (it does option 3 for phase 2) was tested against the ACME
corporation box which choose option 2 for phase 1. When I initiated to ACME
it could care less what the lifetime I offered was and accepted; when ACME
initiated to me I enforced my locally configured policy (under the assumption
that it was put that way for a reason by the operator) and failed.

  Dan.

On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:13:44 EST you wrote