Re: Question about mis-match SA lifetimes

  You're right, there's no guarantees on anything. The other side could
encrypt the key, SPI and destination address in Louis Freeh's public key
and send it off to him. But the lack of guarantees shouldn't mean that no
policy enforcement should be done. I figure that the operator set the
lifetime for a reason (and since a key from the IKE SA can be the "root key"
for lots of IPSec SAs that may be a very good reason) and not just on a
whim. To ignore that setting is wrong.

  To answer your question: no, I don't fail if the other side offers a
time that's less than mine. I accept it and I respect it. If my lifetime
is 2 hours and the peer offers 1 hour I delete the SA after 1 hour.

  Dan.

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 07:03:16 PST you wrote