Re: Cookie Requirements

Chris Trobridge writes:
> RFC2408 Para 2.5.3 states that cookie generation must ensure that cookies
> depend on specific parties, that only cookies should not be acceptable by
> other than the issuer.  It then goes on to outline a method based on hashing
> IP addresses, UDP ports, a local secret and time/day to produce the cookie.
>
> I don't see what advantage this has over choosing a suitably strong random
> value.

The cookie generation method in ISAKMP consumes random bits more slowly.
This frugality is useful in environments where high-entropy random bits
are hard to produce, quickly or at all.

[...]
> I'm not sure about the second argument either.  I can see that it must not
> be possible for an attacker to be able to guess the cookie generated in
> response to a spoofed negotiation request (as with TCP).  I'm not sure why
> this requires a local secret for verification.  The only reason I can think
> of is if cookies aren't stored locally (initially?) and hence there would
> have to be some means of verifying them.  Even then I'm not sure how it
> would help as you'd still need to know the time/date when the cookie was
> created.

Caching the generation time and a pointer to (the correct version of) the
local secret could still save space vs. caching the entire cookie.

-Lewis		http://www.cs.umass.edu/~lmccarth
--
"we have to yet really seriously debate the constitutional issues and
whether or not we're willing to give up more freedom in order to have