RE: Bridging non-IP traffic over IPSec

> John Shriver wrote:
> >
> > Well, there is NO need for an inner IP header when you use GRE.  You
> > can do either:
> >
> > 1. Use ESP in transport mode, with next header value of GRE.
> > 2. Use ESP in tunnel mode, with next header value of GRE.  (Maybe this
> > is illegal, and tunnel mode requires the next header to be IP?  I
> > don't remember.)
>
> I think (2) is technically illegal, although an argument exists for
> special treatment. Presumably, you want to do ESP/GRE at a gateway, and
> not on a host. If you *are* doing it on a host for some reason, then you
> can just use transport mode, as in (1). However, RFC2401 requires that
> security gateways communicate using tunnel mode unless the sgw is
> terminating the connection. Now, it could be argued that the sgw *is*
> terminating the GRE connection, in which case transport mode between the
> GRE endpoints would be acceptable. Not bad, I guess.
>

> > The advantage of GRE in this case is that it is an IP-level protocol,
> > not a UDP-level protocol.  You don't need an IP/UDP header to navigate
> > there.
>
> It's been quite a while since I looked at the L2TP draft, but I'm under
> the strong impression that it's not a UDP protocol. There may be a UDP
> control channel associated with it, but I think the protocol itself
> operates at layer 2. I know we have at least a few l2tp experts lurking
> here - perhaps they will enlighten us.

L2TP runs over UDP (both data and control channels) in IP networks. It can
run directly over a layer 2 protocol like ATM.  I think that there's an L2TP
over ATM/FR draft somewhere.

> > But, let's remember, the "client" (by the time we cut any more
> > standards) will be whatever Microsoft has already decided to ship in
> > Windows 2000.  If that is PPTP, that WILL be how you talk IPX over
> > IPsec to Windows.  (Whether that's where you want to go today or not.)
> > The NDIS WAN universe is so hairy that once Microsoft ships IPsec (in
> > Windows 2000), nobody will be willing to install a different IPsec in
> > it.  (Who loads an alternate TCP/IP stack into Windows 95, 98, or NT
> > these days?  Same will apply to IPsec in Windows 2000.)
>
> I don't think this is necessarily true. Given that PPTP has been shown
> to be very broken (by Schneier, et al), and given that ultimately,
> putting a bunch of extra bits on already overtaxed network wires is
> frowned upon by most realists, even m$ may have difficulty convincing
> everyone that their way is the only way, especially if someone comes up
> with a GRE shim that interoperates with the rest of the world.

Actually, Schneier makes it very clear that its not PPTP, but the
implementation of PPTP they analyzed that is broken.  Check out his FAQ on
the topic at http://www.counterpane.com/pptp-faq.html.

Sumit A. Vakil
Internet Devices, Inc.

Follow-Ups: References: