RE: Bridging non-IP traffic over IPSec

I noticed that Scott G. Kelly <skelly@redcreek.com> wrote:
>> [...] Given that PPTP has been shown
>> to be very broken (by Schneier, et al), and given that ultimately,
>> putting a bunch of extra bits on already overtaxed network wires is
>> frowned upon by most realists, even m$ may have difficulty convincing
>> everyone that their way is the only way [...]

To which, Sumit A. Vakil replied:
> Actually, Schneier makes it very clear that its not PPTP, but the
> implementation of PPTP they analyzed that is broken.  Check out his FAQ on
> the topic at http://www.counterpane.com/pptp-faq.html.

Please be aware that this FAQ does not go nearly far enough
in condemning PPTP.  MS-PPTP is just one particularly weak
version of challenge-hashed-response authentication for
passwords (CHRAP), in which, according to the FAQ:

	"Passwords are protected by hash functions
	 so badly that most can be easily recovered."

What the FAQ neglects to say, however, is that even a "good"
implementation of PPTP, like all similar methods based on
purely symmetric ciphers or hash functions, necessarily
exposes *lots* of user passwords to brute-force network attack.
In my view, this is completely unacceptable.

Given the *many* stronger alternatives today, with IPSEC as
merely one example, there is just no good excuse to use PPTP
or any similar CHRAP over an otherwise insecure network.

David P. Jablon
Integrity Sciences, Inc.
dpj@world.std.com
<http://world.std.com/~dpj/>