RE: Question about Extended Authentication in IKE

To address scalability and not use pre-shared keys, you could use one of the
hybrid authentication mechanisms described in
<draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-hybrid-auth-01.txt>.

This allows the gateway (the responder) to have a certificate, and be
authenticated using that. The client (the initiator) would use extended
authentication to be authenticated by the gateway.

While the client implementation still has to know how to deal with
certificates, it does not actually have to have certificates, allowing
remote users to be authenticated using only (perhaps existing) legacy
mechanisms. Distribution and management of client certificates becomes
unnecessary.

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617