Re: (IPng 7212) RE: Last Call: Mobility Support in IPv6 to Proposed Standard

I think there is some confusion to what we are asking in regards to IPSec
and routing headers, Rich correct me if I am wrong.  Sorry this is so long,
I want to make the example clear.

A mobile node is in its home network when it first establishes a security
policy with some correspondent node.  The security policy in the
correspondent node uses the "home address" of the mobile node when
communicating.  At a later time, the mobile node moves to another location.
The correspondent node still communicates with the mobile node using the
"home address" until the correspondent node discovers that there is a "care
of address."

The "care of address" is discovered when the correspondent node receives a
packet from the mobile node with the source address set to the "care of
address" and the packet contains a "Home Address" destination option.  The
correspondent node caches the binding.  The IPSec headers for this packet
could come before or after the destination option.  If the IPSec is before
the destination option, then there must be an association between the "care
of address" and the correspondent node.  If the IPSec is after the
destination header, the "home address" is used in the policy and no
association between the "care of address" and the mobile node exists.  The
latter case is probably the most likely.

Lets take the example of the IPSec headers being after the destination
option.  When the mobile node sends a packet to the correspondent node,
there is probably a security gateway protecting outbound traffic.  The
security gateway communicates with the correspondent node.  Here is a
diagram:

    MobileNode("care of address")---->SG---->Internet---->CorrespondentNode

The traffic reaches the correspondent node which parses the packet and
creates the "care of address" binding.  Then, the end-end IPSec between the
mobile node and the correspondent node is handled.  Remember, the "home
address" is the destination address.  It was swapped when doing the binding.

Now, the correspondent node sends traffic back to the mobile node.  At the
transport layer, the "home address" is used for the policy lookup.  However
if this is a TCP connection, the security association is probably cached in
the TCP control block so a lookup is not needed.  Before the traffic is
actually protected by AH (AH because it covers the entire datagram), a check
of the binding is done to see if there is a "care of address."  Yes, a "care
of address" does exist so the destination IP address is changed to the "care
of address" and a routing header created containing the "home address."

Of course, the routing header and the destination IP address are mutable but
predictable.  The actual authentication is done on the predicted value.
This is one reason AH is so "fun" to implement and will cost in performance.

Before the traffic is sent, a policy lookup is performed to see if the
traffic is protected by IPSec.  If a second policy lookup is not performed,
the traffic is dropped when it reaches the security gateway.  So in this
case, it is necessary for the correspondent node to do a second lookup.
Unless of course, the security gateway looks at the routing header and
allows the packet to be forwarded to the mobile node.  But this means the
traffic bypasses security at the security gateway.  I doubt this is an
option.

Aaron