RE: Bridging non-IP traffic over IPSec

> The real question, the one we're actually concerned with here, is this:
> We have a need to tunnel non-IP traffic between private networks using
> the public internet; should we use pptp, l2tp, gre, or some other
> mechanism to accomplish this? I submit that pptp is not really an
> alternative, given the reasons above. I suggested earlier that l2tp
> might be overkill for this application, given all the overhead that goes
> with it, and wondered if we shouldn't be reviving GRE for this
> application. There are probably good arguments for both points of view
> (l2tp vs gre), and there may even be a third or fourth alternative which
> makes more sense. This should be the thrust of our discussion.

Mobile IP and the Tunnel Establishment Protocol (TEP) use GRE
for multiprotocol support. Mobile IP is a proposed standard, TEP is
a draft submitted to the MIP WG and it is a WG document.
So there is a couple of protocols (actually sharing most of the messages and
of
the code) which are going to use GRE as the mechanism you are talking about.

Alessio